Friday, December 16, 2011

Is a 1975 175cc Kawasaki okay on the freeway?

I am considering buying a 1975 Kawasaki 175cc motorcycle for within my budget. It's running, so I was wondering, is this bike able to run on the freeway, without much problems, at least in the slow lane, so that I can get around the SF bay area?





if anyone has experience with this kind of engine, that would be cool.|||You'd be pushing a 175 engine to its limit at highway speeds, plus, it's a smaller, lighter bike, which means it's more subject to road bumps, wind, etc.



If you're only talking short distances, you might be ok, but I wouldn't want to ride far at highway speeds on a bike that size.



My first bike was a 250 and yes, I did take it on the highway, but I lived in an area of Colorado where there wasn't near the traffic you're talking about.



@Additional details: I think the engine and bike could handle 60 mph without any damage. I'm more concerned about the rider (you) than the bike being able to handle it. However, I do realize you said it's within your budget, so, if you can, get by on that 175 and step up to something bigger at your first opportunity. Ride safe.



Ed.|||I have not ridden in the California Freeways for a long while, but I believe there is minimum CC requirement to get on the freeway. 250CC if I remember right. It is actually for the protection of the rider. When a semi rig over takes your 175CC at 60mph, you will be changing lanes even it you don't want to.|||In NY you hav to have a 250 or more to go on the highway. Better check the law in Cali.|||I think running at 60 is ok for the engine

No comments:

Post a Comment